KEEPING YOUR DOG SAFE AT CHRISTMAS - THE SCOOP:
Many people have NO idea the risks imposed by many of the standard Holiday foods. Here are some known ones to avoid!
- Tin foil, meat strings, and toothpicks can cause serious digestive problems if swallowed.
- DOUGH CAN EXPAND IN THE STOMACH AND cause severe problems if swallowed.
- CHOCOLATE, COFFEE, AND TEA ARE VERY TOXIC for dogs. Even small amounts can cause diarrhea, seizures or death. Unsweetened baking chocolate and dark chocolate are most dangerous.
- Bones, cooked or uncooked, can tear or obstruct the digestive system.
- SWEETS AND GREASY OR SPICY FOODS CAN CAUSE PANCREATITIS which is a serious inflammation of the pancreas and can be fatal.
- Alcoholic beverages are attractive to some dogs, especially sweet alcoholic beverages such as eggnog. Remind guests to keep glasses out of reach of the dog and put away glasses after parties. A SMALL AMOUNT OF ALCOHOL CAN BE FATAL.
- Garbage contains discarded food and the smells can be enticing for your dog. Keep garbage covered and out of reach.
- PLASTIC WRAPPING CAN OBSTRUCT THE DIGESTIVE SYSTEM AND cause severe problems if swallowed.
CHRISTMAS TREE AND DECORATION SAFETY
To your dog or cat the christmas tree can appear like a fancy toy made just for them. That and other risks should be noted.
- Christmas trees should be secured to prevent toppling. Do not allow your dog to eat fallen pine needles or even artificial tree needles as they can be toxic or cause stomach irritation.
- CHRISTMAS TREE WATER CAN CONTAIN POISONOUS PINE TAR OR TREE PRESERVATIVES. Fido will get thirsty and go straight for the tree water!
- Tinsel, ornaments, ornament wire hangers, angel hair, artificial snow, candles, and ribbon can all cause serious problems if swallowed. MANY DOGS THINK ORNAMENTS ARE TOYS AND WANT TO PLAY WITH THEM.
- POINSETTIAS, AMARYLLIS AND MISTLETOE are popular Christmas plants, but ALL OF THEM ARE POISONOUS to dogs.
- Christmas lights can cause digestive upsets or electrocution if chewed.
- ELECTRICAL CORDS CAN CAUSE ELECTROCUTION or a fire hazard if chewed.
- Batteries can be toxic and cause intestinal obstruction if swallowed.
- Costumes and Christmas outfits are adorable on Scruffy but they should not bind or constrict, block the dog’s vision, or have pieces that can cause choking if swallowed.
- ALMOST ALL CHRISTMAS PLANTS, including holly leaves and berries, poinsettias, and mistletoe ARE POISONOUS OR IRRITATING TO DOGS IF SWALLOWED.
Please be aware of these outsdoor risks on the Holiday season if you want a safe and happy Holiday for all!
- ANTIFREEZE tastes sweet and many dogs are attracted to it. JUST A FEW DROPS CAN BE FATAL.
- Hypothermia can pose a danger during severe cold. Puppies, old dogs, and sick dogs are most vulnerable. Dress your dog in winter clothing or restrict outdoor time. Provide snug shelter. Warm your dog quickly if he starts to shiver.
- ICE-MELTING CHEMICALS AND SALT CAN IRRITATE PAWS OR CAUSE DIGESTIVE UPSETS IF SWALLOWED.
We hope this helps lead to a very beautiful, safe and happy Holiday for all our friends, the furry ones, the finny ones, the feathered ones and everyone else (even the scaly or slippery ones!) Seasons Greetings from A Walk Around the Block!
At A Walk Around the Block -
“Your pets’ safety & happiness come first.”
What is "HouseCheck+"?
Petsitting vs. Dog walking, what's the difference?
We are eager to meet you and your special friend and strive through every interaction to make sure you are secure in the knowledge that your special friend is well cared for. Contact us any time.