It's Summer and the Beach is a fun place to go with your pets! Here in Saint Petersburg, Florida the beaches are AMAZING and many allow dogs but there are things to be careful of and take note of.
Summer Safety (BEACH) Tips for Dog Owners
- Make sure your dog has a shady spot to rest in and plenty of fresh water.
- Dogs, especially those with short hair, white fur, and pink skin, can sunburn. Limit your dog's exposure during the day and apply sunblock to his ears and nose 30 minutes before going outside.
- Check with a lifeguard for daily water conditions. Dogs are easy targets for sea lice and jellyfish.
- Running on the sand is strenuous exercise. A dog that is out of shape can easily pull a tendon or ligament, so keep a check on your dog's activity.
- Do not let your dog drink seawater; the salt will make him sick.
- Salt and other minerals in ocean water can damage your dog's coat, so rinse him off at the end of the day.
- Not all beaches permit dogs; check local ordinances before heading out.